Thursday, February 2, 2012

Gavin Tale Twister #38: Charlie Bit My Finger! THE SEQUEL

Most of you who surf the Internet have seen the You Tube sensation called "Charlie Bit My Finger". If you have not seen it, you should and you can by clicking here.
Hilarious! Isn't it? Well, my kids have seen that video about 100 times.

They love this video so much that they take turns playing Charlie while the other brother taunts his index finger close to Charlie's mouth. The laughter from the beginning to the end of each re-enactment, with a British accent of course, is something only the parents of two boys could really enjoy. Anyone with two boys knows that they usually only communicate by picking on one another and trying to beat each other up so anytime they are laughing together is a blessing. Since we live in the states but are of mixed heritage, our children have come to appreciate and imitate many of the various accents they have heard.

One night a couple weeks ago I had to go to the grocery store. I dread the grocery store especially with the kids but I had to go. We went in with a short list and got to the checkout line with twice as much stuff. I was so irritated by my children asking for stuff and sneaking all kinds of JUNK into the cart. It was so bad that I was pretty much was the parent with her back to her children trying to pretend they were not mine. They were so happy and excited to be at the store and I was absolutely miserable with them there! We made it to the register and still my back was to them. You know how if you just ignore a two year old's tantrum and walk away, the two year old will get up, stop the tantrum and run after you and then try to get your attention some other way. We must have done that a lot at age two because at age 8 and 12, both Gavin and Sam were right on my tail, almost inside my personal space and yes they were trying to get my attention the entire time. I couldn't move fast enough through that store.

I sighed and took a deep breath when the cashier finally said "Did you find everything you need?" It was as if I reached the finish line. I responded with a polite "Yes, Thank You!" All the personnel behind the counter then tried to acknowledge the boys. I just ignored all of them as if I were saying- what boys?
There was a cashier and a training cashier as well as the bag boy all watching what was going on behind my back. I stayed strong and did not turn to give them any attention. As my bill was racking up into the 40's, the conversation between the boys had turned into the "Charlie! You Bit My Finger!" re-enactment. I had heard it about a billion times so I again did not acknowledge the boys antics for attention. I heard every word but did not turn my head to look!

The conversation went something like this. Sammy (12) played the 15 month old baby Charlie and Gavin (8) played the 4 year old big brother.

Gavin said to Sammy (Charlie) as he sticks his index finger close to Charlie's mouth. (Say this with a British accent:) "Now, Chaaaleee your not going to bite my fin ga, arrrr uuuu?"
Sammy shakes his head from ear to ear and responds back "an-ahh " (that is baby talk for NO!) as he is giggling and lunges forward with his big wolf like teeth. Gavin quickly retracts his finger and then tries again saying:
"Bad Chaliee, Bad bad Chaliee!" Pause... Giggle. "Now Chaaliee, your not going to bite my fin ga, now arrrrr uuuu?"
Again Sammy says "an-ahh" and just when Gavin gets close enough with his finger, Sammy lunges forward to bite Gavin's finger. Gavin retracts the endangered finger once again and just in time.

This went on a couple of times and by now the cashiers and bag boy were fully engaged but only because the boys were having so much fun. I still did not look.

"Chaaaaaleee, you promised you wouldn't bite moi fin-ga."
Sammy smiled like a 2 year old with big bright eyes and bobbed his head up and down wanting to please his 4 year old big brother and willing to follow his every command.
" Chaaalee..... you promise? Right? " Sam sill bobbing his head up and down as if he were in agreement.
"OK Chaaalee, you promised!" Gavin raised his index finger closer , closer, closer and closer to Sammy's mouth. With Gavin's finger went his whole upper body as if this was to shield the finger in jeopardy.

The giggles had turned to uncontrollable laughter by now. Gavin and Sam's faces were red and sweating. It was as if there wasn't anyone else around. They were in their own little world. I maintained my iron clad stance facing the register and trying to pay as quickly as possible so we could make a quick escape without any more attention. The cashiers and bag boy were now all eyes and ears fixed on the skit going on behind me.

Right about this time Gavin was laughing so hard that his eyes were almost closed.
Sam with his cat like reflexes took advantage of his opportunity. He snatched Gavin's hand paralyzing him and went in for the kill. Crunch! Gavin squealed in pain. Yes, Chaalee bit his fin-ga! Gavin's face was red and his eyes were watery as he screamed out with pain but still in his perfect British accent (say this just how it is spelled- and loudly) "CHAAAALEEEEEE!!! YOUUUU LOIED!!!!!" YOUU LOIED CHAALEE!!!! (YOUU LOIED in a british accent is YOU LIED here in the states.)

Yes everyone was laughing including me but I still didn't look and as funny as that turned out I still don't want to ever take them to the grocery store again!

I caught a re-enactment of this at home and will post it here when I figure out how to do that.