Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gavin Tale Twister #37: Check Your Pockets!

Gavin (8) does not have many friends come to the house. Not because he has no friends but because his lame Mom and Dad are too exhausted by the end of the week to make that happen for Gavin. Why you ask? Maybe because we have a 12 year old whom for 3 1/2 years before Gavin was born we spent too much time ooing, ahhing, taking pictures, and showing him the world. Now we spend every day driving that 12 year old to his activities. Gavin sits by just watching. Actually, Gavin was doomed before birth! When he came along we were pooped and just happy to sit and watch TV. As you have more kids, you have less time and everything you want to do for yourself gets put on the back burner. You want to nap every day and the kids want to play with other kids. I'm tired just thinking about it.
Being the second child, life is supposed to be different isn't it? Few baby pictures, no play group or baby music classes to enrich his minds, no shopping sprees for brand new cute smocked jumpers, lots of hand-me- downs and he'll learn what he learns when ever he learns it. We are not spoon feeding everything to Gavin like we did Sam.... we don't have that kind of time unless we ditch the silver baby spoon and switch to something more efficient like a funnel. Poor Gavin ....I can barely remember what he looked like as a baby. Bad Mommy!
So last month, I made a promise to Gavin that we were going to build up his network of friends just like we did with Sammy. I think we have done pretty good so far. In the last week, I have gone out of my way to invite one of his class mates over to hang out after school and the other night we had a child from the neighborhood come play.
On that particular night, My Canadian Man Bill and I smiled as Gavin ran around trying to be a good host. He fed his friend junk food and drinks, asked his friend what he wanted to do while he was over, and was attentive to his friend's need. I think Gavin even tried to pay his friend $3 to play something Gavin really wanted to play.
The two of them were up in Gavin's bedroom playing and Gavin ran down to get more drinks. Mind you, you can hear every word said in Gavin's room because his bedroom is just next to the top of the stairs and we were sitting in the living room just next to the bottom of the stairs. Upon Gavin's return to his bedroom, Gavin realized that he could not find his $20 bill that he supposedly placed in a safe spot somewhere in his room. This is the only money Gavin has to his name and I have no idea where he got it from other than earlier I overheard Sam saying something about his $20 missing from his pocket. I can only guess what happened there. Anyway, I could sense that Gavin was in a panic because I could hear a lot of rustling around up there. After about 10 seconds of looking, Gavin says to his friend "HEY! I CAN'T FIND MY TWENTY DOLLAR BILL. CHECK YOUR POCKETS!"
Bill and I busted out laughing. Gavin might just be minus one friend in his ohhhh soooo empty friend bank.
I should probably talk to Gavin about needing making deposits with his friends so when he accidentally overdraws , it's not such a big deal. In other words stay on the plus side by treating your friends nicely so when you botch something up, they are more likely to forgive you. If you take take, take and never give, you will end up very lonely!
I just read this post to Sammy. Oops he just realized that his $20 is not where he put it......in that wide open not so secret hiding place behind the TV! Ha!