Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Gavin Tail Twister #23: My Life Has Been A Disaster!

On this particular night in April 2011, I was working late. On my way home, I spoke to my dad who just two days earlier lost his pet dog, Copper. What a sad day that was for everyone in the family. Everyone cried and cried after Copper was put to sleep especially my dad. This was the one animal he had truly been attached to only he did not know it until Copper was gone. What an empty space in your home after the family dog passes. I know this because I have the same empty space in my home from our sweet Louie (Springer Spaniel) who died 3 years ago. He was my one and only pet I've ever let into my life. I still cry when I think about him!

Setting up the story: My Canadian Man, William, and I have for the last year been talking to our children Sam and Gavin about this passing being a possibility. We stressed the importance of quality time and saying a proper loving good bye to the dog each and every time they saw Copper. That usually got Copper an extra kiss and a pat on the head. Little did they know what that loss would really mean to them. On Friday (3 days ago), I told our family that Copper was very sick and not able to walk anymore and that Paupa would faced with putting an end to Copper's misery. Seventeen years with a dog is a long time and this decision did not come easy. Both kids seemed sad but again, they did not comprehend what this would do to them emotionally.


Back to the story. On this particular night in April 2011, I was working late. I spoke to my dad on the way home and arrived in the garage at 9:30. I drop my stuff on the kitchen counter and sit in the empty family room. Immediately Gavin(7) comes out of my bedroom with tears in his eyes. He flopped face down on the sofa and proceeded to sob. I just thought his dad kicked him out of the bed for not following federation rules in the parents bed. That is another story!

I did not pay Gavin much attention until Sam (11) came out and with a sad face asked "did Copper die?" William had just told them that Copper had gone to Heaven. I could see tears coming so I answered Sammy, Yes as I looked away to stop myself from crying too. I said "but you know what Sam? Copper is with Louie chasing and herding birds." That brought a slight smile through his sad face.


I scooted both boys upstairs to their beds hoping to spend individual time with each child to talk about our loss. Gavin was a bit angry about Coppers death but more sad than angry. I consoled him with a mental picture of Copper not being in any pain and hanging out with Louie and all kind of other animal friends. We talked about what a great life Copper had and all the funny things that happened when Copper and our new dog Maggie hung out. They would play chase and bite the other dog's tail and even dog wrestle. They protected us and loved us unconditionally as God created them to do. They filled our lives with happiness along with alot of extra dog work and dog worries just like children do throughout their lives. As Gavin let out an occasional all-out sob with tears, he said and I quote "My life has been a disaster!"

My response "Oh Gavin why would you say that?"

"Because first Louie died and now Copper is dead."

"I guess Gavin, that is what loosing someone very dear makes you feel like."

"I would rather get an F at school than let Copper die."

"Me too Gavin." I said softly.


As he dozed off to sleep with an occasional sob burst, I though about what he said. "My life has been a disaster." Loosing two dogs in three years is a lot and to a seven year old, that is a lot of loss his short little lifetime.


There will probably be more tears over Louie and Copper tomorrow and for many days to come. One thing I can say for sure. God knew what he was doing when he created dogs. After all, if dogs outlived their owners, who's job would it be to scoop the poop? That would be the Canadian Man and the Canadian Manboy's (William and Sammy's) job in our house.


Copper was a special family dog and he loved everyone but especially Paupa. We loved Copper and will truly miss him! May you rest in peace Copper and chase bird for an eternity.



It is a good thing we have Maggie (our one year old Golden Retriever) to bring all that dog joy....and worry. But most of all that empty space in our house is now filled!