Monday, December 26, 2011

Gavin's Tail Twister #36: I'm Not Copying You!

Over the Christmas holiday, we went on a little vacation. We happened to take one of Sammy's friends with us. While in the hotel room during the very little down time we had, all of the boys (Sammy 12, Gavin 8, and Kevin who was also 12) made spinner! What is a spinner you ask? It is a piece of paper that is folded origami style to form a small 2 inch square that when you flick opposite corners, it spins. If you color the top with bright colors, it really looks cool.
The boys must have made about 15 each and occasionally would ask for us to pick which one was the best. So there was a who made the coolest looking spinner competition going on daily. Gavin did not win the first competition and was not happy. I secretly tried to find out which ones were Gavin's so I could pick his to win but he wanted to win fairly.
On this particular day after coming in from the pools and water slides, both Kevin and Gavin set out to make spinners. They sat across from each other folding spinners and then trying to color them the best they could so they could win the next "coolest spinner contest". I was putting stuff away and noticed Gavin frequently glancing over toward Kevin as he worked diligently to color his spinner. Gavin would glance over to look at Kevin's spinner and then look down to his own spinner ... glance over, look down to his own...glance over, look down to his own spinner. It was almost as if he were comparing or maybe even copying Kevin.
At that very moment Gavin spoke up and said..."Kevin I know it looks like I am copying you but I'm really not....your probably see me keep looking over and are wondering why I'm looking at your spinner."
No answer from Kevin. He was too busy to care about what Gav was saying.
Gavin continued explaining..."Really! I'M NOT COPYING YOU. I, I, I'M JUST INSPIRED BY YOUR WORK!"
Ha Ha Ha! I hope he never uses that line in school!!