Saturday, October 2, 2010

Gavin's Tail Twister #15: You Sucked Me In

Now that Gavin is seven years old, he is fully capable of getting his own breakfast and doing some small chores by himself. On this one particular day Gavin wanted bacon for breakfast... imagine that! He badgered me about bacon for an hour. I was so irritated by the fact that Gavin would not just settle for cereal or frozen waffles. It was Saturday! I cleaned the house and deep cleaned the kitchen on Friday. We had had a long week, there were no ball games on this one Saturday and I just wanted to chill instead of wait on everyone like a Waffle House Chef.
Finally, Gavin warmed up to cereal and milk or maybe he just got hungry enough to settle. Gavin poured some cereal in a bowl and lots of it. I was not watching because I wanted Gavin to tend to his needs. He proceeded to get out the milk and poured it over his cereal. Yes! There was too much cereal in the bowl and he needed a lot of milk so he overpoured it and it spilled all over the counter. He did not mean to but he did! Those of you who know all the dog drama in our house understand why I hate cleaning. That is an entire other story. So...the milk ran down into the drawers and on the floor. This of course means MORE CLEANING FOR ME! I started fussing! "Gavin couldn't you be more careful. You know I just cleanded the kitchen. Why did you pour so much cereal. You know that is not just one serving."
Gavin with his lips pushed out and trying to move all the milk around on the counter thinking he was cleaning responded "I know mom but I just wanted bacon...I was so hungry I wasn't ..."
"What? You weren't paying attention? Now your not really helping your just making a bigger mess and by the way you have left the refrigerator door open this whole time!"
" Mom, I couldn't help that... you, you, you SUCKED ME IN the whole conversation about the mess I was making and that made me forget about the refrigerator door being open!"
"I see Gavin! You know Gavin, you are probably right. I should have just made you bacon!"