Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Gavin's Tail Twister # 14 : Sammy The Great

On any given day Sammy(11) is usually pounding on Gavin(7). I try to punish Sammy and Gavin always says "It is OK mommy, I don't want Sammy to go to time out. It was probably my fault anyways." This is proof that if you tell someone especially a kid that they are guilty of doing something bad, they eventually agree and confess even if they didn't do it.

This event involved Gavin being unusually mean to his big brother Sammy. I sent Gavin to the step to for time out. After a minute on the step, I thought to myself: Hitting Sammy on the head with a closed fist was deserving of a harsher punishment. So, I went to Gavin and said in a low voice like I do to the dog when I really mean something: "Gavin, I am very dissappoined in your behavior. This is something that I will not tolerate again. I think your punishment should equal the bad behavoir so you will go to your room for 30 minutes and think about what you did. Then you will come down, shower and go straight to bed without getting to watch TV tonight with your Dad, Samuel and myself.
Gavin burst into tear and ran to his room. As usua,l I forgot about Gavin being in time out until I heard a small voice from way upstairs calling "ma..a..am?".
"Oh Gavin!" I said "I am so sorry I forgot about you. Come on down and hop in the shower."
Gavin came down and hung his head down while he make his way to the shower. He sobbed as he undressed and then uttered "I wish Sam was an only child".
I responded with "I don't think you know what your saying."
"Oh yes I do! If Sammy was alone he would not have me to be so mean to him. Then he would be Sammy The Great and he would be so happy!"

I don't know why younger siblings gauge their own self worth by how happy their older brothers and sisters are. Gavin(7) thinks Sammy(11) hung the moon and Sammy would kick Gavin to the curb every single day of the week. Sweet Gavin keeps coming back wanting to hang with his big brother or just be in his presence. Occasionally I overhear Gavin saying under his breath "Sammy loves me, he just doesn't know it yet!"