Thursday, November 10, 2011

Samuel's Tale Twister #3 : It Sounded Good!

My son Samuel (11) made his middle school basketball team this season. He was so excited when he heard he had made it that we went right out and purchased a new pair of basketball shoes and a basketball hoop to practice on.
Day one of basketball practice: "I wanna quit basketball!"says Sammy.
My response was "Oh really, was it too much work for you?" (Hee! Hee! under my breath.)
"Yes all we did was run. We ran 3 miles and we had to do each lap under a certain time otherwise everyone had to run more. We did NOTHING with a basketball!"
Day two: "I am sick!"
Day three: "I think I sprained my ankle! My leg hurts!"
"Where?...Here ?" I asked.
"Ouch, owe-ch! Yes and yes." Replies Sam.
"Sam that is called shin splints. You need to stretch before you run. This will all get better as you do it more. " I said.
"All we did was run a bunch today too. I don't see what that has to do with basketball."
"It is called conditioning Sam. That is so when you get on the court you will be able to play for longer periods of time. I am sure the coach doesn't want you to get into a game and be tuckered out before the game gets going. You knew you would have to do some conditioning before you joined the team! We talked about how doing other sports that strengthen your core and give you balance are great for getting you ready for next baseball season. "
"Yea, well, it sounded good!"
"Ah ha ha ha! Yea Sammy, kinda like it sounds like a good idea to plan to go to the gym at 5AM until the alarm goes off and I have to get out of bed."