Friday, September 25, 2009

Gavin's Tail Twister #4 The Quivering Face

Mommyhood is sooo stressful that sometimes circumstance makes you do things you would not normally do. Last Monday, both Sam and Gavin had football games at about the same time but in two different locations. I dropped off Sam(9) and my sister Lauren(21) at Tatnall. I then took Gavin to his football game at Stratford. Upon the completion of Gavin's game, a scary, gigantic bolt of lightening lit up the sky and looked to be directly above the Tatnall area where Sam's football game was taking place. I grabbed Gavin, shoved him in the car and raced toward Tatnall School. I had no cell phone (I left it on the table at home). I had no way to check on Sam and my baby sister, who by the way looks like a 12 year old and knows no one in Macon. Worried that they were stuck outside in a lightning storm had me in a panic. As I frantically drove, Gavin was talking at me as usual. Imagine that! He was telling me he thought we were driving fast. In fact faster than he had ever gone before he said. He continued to yap about my driving. I finally said..."Gavin, I love you but Mommy is very stressed out because Sam and Lauren may be stuck outside in a lightening storm and I do not have a phone to call them. I need you to NOT talk to me for a few minutes because we need to get there ASAP. Just like that: Gavin responded " OK Mommy I'll be quiet but I have to tell you my face is ...qui...ve..r..r..innng and my head is (say the following in slow motion)
a..b...ou...ut
t...oo..o
g..g..ge.....t
st...t..u..c......k...k.
t..o..o..o
t..h..e
b...a..a..c...k
w.in...d.......ow.
I just laughed and said "OK Gavin I am driving too fast. You are right and I will slow down."
Leave it to a 6 year old to get his point across one way or the other. Oh...we got to Tatnall before the storm landed. The game had cancelled and Sam and Lauren were finally safe inside the car.